Meet Michael Polite! (he/his)
Location: Nashville, TN
- How long have you been a part of TCC? How did you get connected?
I’ve been a part of TCC for almost 2 years now, and I was connected to The Courage Collective through a series of weird serendipities that included the Amazon Forest, a job interview, a spontaneous friendship, and a professional referral. Yikes! It would take me a minimum of 15 minutes to explain it all : )
- Share your why. Why is DEI important to you?
At its root, diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging is all about acknowledging differences, affirming differences, accepting differences, and appreciating differences. DEIB work is artistry, and I am an artist who cares deeply for the collective health of humanity. All people, no matter their differences, have a right to be seen, heard, nurtured, and encouraged. I see my work with The Courage Collective as the meaningful promotion of these four inalienable human rights.
- Share one identity that is important to you right now.
As an African Descendant of American Slaves, I carry—within my veins—the strength and resilience of a people who have, despite extreme opposition, continued to believe that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are theirs as well.
- What superlative would you win?
- Most likely to hug a tree in public.
- Most likely to quote a Clubber Lang scene (Rocky 3) verbatim.
- Most likely to disappear for a few days and come back with buried treasure.
- Most likely to plan a trip for all my friends to Antarctica.
- What are you currently reading?
I’m currently reading The Creative Act: A Way of Being by Rick Rubin
- Best movie or show you’ve watched of late?
The Woman King starring Viola Davis, Thuso Mbedu, & John Boyega
- What’s a quote or mantra that you live by?
“All is well, and all will be well.”
- How would you describe the moment we’re living in?
It is a transition point for our species, a time when the collective community of our planet stand at a crossroads and decide which path to take for the next 2000 years.
Stay tuned for more opportunities to get to know the entire Courage Collective team!